The Revitalising Newcastle program (the Program) was established to deliver the NSW Government’s commitment to revitalise the city identified under the Newcastle Urban Renewal Strategy. The Program aims to bring people back to the city centre by strengthening connections between the city and waterfront and delivering attractive public spaces connected to better transport. The site will undergo demolition as part of the proposal for the construction and operation of a bus interchange.
The site of the Store is located on the north-western corner of the intersection of Cooper Street and Hunter Street in Newcastle West. The building was constructed in phases from 1906 until the 1980s. The buildings fronting Hunter Street in the south were constructed between 1906 and 1936, with additional storeys, rear storage areas, offices and the carpark added from the 1940s onwards.
DECC’s Scope of Work included the demolition and asbestos removal of the redundant shopping centre complex, located in the heart of Newcastle. The building was constructed over different stages and was built from a combination of steel framed, concrete, brick and timber with extensive asbestos sheeting. Adjacent to the shopping complex was a 4 storey carpark structure with asbestos pods. This structure was demolished under “Asbestos Conditions”.